Thursday, October 10, 2013

"I Believe"

There's this brilliant teacher I know. Her name is Debbie Dean. Today in class, she invited her students to write a short essay in the format of the "I Believe" collection. Even if you don't know what that is, you'll love this. A dear friend of mine wrote it in 14minutes and then read it to the class. I was touched. deeply. I hope you will  be too. 


Broken people make beautiful mosaics. There are chipped edges and mismatched colors, but take a step back and you see a work of art. Step even closer and be astounded by the details.

People like to be kept together. As our insides push at our seams, our outsides clench and tighten, longing to appear whole. But the secret is, everyone has an Achilles Heel. Everyone is made of shattered glass.

My outsides cracked when I was 15 years old. Daggers flew inside me and my surface gave way. I was a pile of pieces on the floor. I had lost a crucial part of me--a part of my eternity. But eternity is made up of dashes and dots.

God loves to see shards.

Mosaics are made from what was once whole. And perfect people are made from pieces. Day by day, piece by shattered piece, we rebuild ourselves in the light of Christ. It is this light that makes us shine, despite our broken surface.  When our stubbornness secedes, our Savior steps in. His gentle hands lift our fragile hearts and we are recreated.


I believe in broken people, being rebuilt.

I testify that is true. [thanks RC for sharing. #englishteachingbff ]

No comments:

Post a Comment