When I grow up, I want to be a teacher. I want to be
employed by the country’s largest and most inefficient bureaucracy. I want to
be complained to daily by hormonal adolescents and scathingly reviewed by
community members for the mediocrity or even failing education system of which
I will be a part.
The problem won’t be solved by schools. It will be solved by
homes. “But we have no control over that!” “So get the government to fix it!”
you say. I say: you wrong.
I am not setting out to turn teenagers into Shakespeare
quoting, poetry writing, AP test vanquishing nerds, although I wouldn’t mind any
one of those by-products. I–and don’t let this get out to my future employers–am setting out to make good moms and dads. I am setting out to influence the
most influential group on earth: American teenagers. I am hoping that those
whiny kids will be so inspired by our class discussions and the uplifting and
mind-opening literature, along with my unconditional love and patience, that
they will come back their senior year and say thank you, and for the rest of
their lives say thank you. Imagine the difference that could make in their
future home?! No really. PAUSE. Think of that -- Little things like that. a tidge of gratitude. If
they don’t remember a single book we read and can’t spit back a single quote we
memorized from Halupa’s cache, I couldn’t care less.
Some day, the kids of my students, raised by happy, proactive, grateful citizens, will be in
school, and some teacher should come thank me! Actually, I hope she’ll thank
the kid for being so darn good and make him feel like a million bucks. That
would be good enough for me.
Inspiring...please can my kids attend your school and be in your classes!?
ReplyDelete